20 Questions for Sugarcane's Timon Balloo
Off-the-cuff with a South Florida gladiator.
August 12, 2015 ● 1 min read
1. Do you believe in fate?
2. Newly-discovered life hack?
Can't say would get arrested but involves movies...
3. Sign of a trustworthy restaurant?
Diners of ethnicity are eating there.
4. Most common protests from your kids at mealtime:
Done eating mains so they can eat more dessert after.
5. First movie you saw in a theater?
Ever, think it was Star Wars or E.T.
6. Should dietary restrictions reign over the menu? No. Should the menu dictate the clientele? Yes.
7. Weirdest place you've ever called "corner?"
8. Prep soundtrack:
Some days jazz, 90's hip hop, or reggae.
9. What fills you with dread?
Failing, losing my passion & not being respected.
Cooking from the heart.
11. You have any superstitions?
Many: zodiac signs, religion & cultural beliefs.
12. Have you ever fought over/with food?
No, respect it too much, but will chuck grapes at cooks through the pass.
13. What are your shotgun rules?
First one to call it on the way to car!
14. Last song that was stuck in your head?
Scenario by Tribe Called Quest.
15. Flashiest trick in your arsenal:
Fry it! Everyone loves crispy!
16. Has said trick ever paid off?
All the time!
17. My mother always told me:
18. Ice-cream truck rolls up: what do you get?
Ice cream sandwich.
19. Would you go on the Mars trip?
20. Your cookbooks are burning—which do you save?
Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg & Karen Page, Perfection by Heston Blumenthal, and A Day at El Bulli.
Balloo is busy crushing it in Miami at Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill. He also makes INSANE arepas, y'all.