A home for the best things in the entire world, ten at a time. Go Josh Even, GO!
1. Cured anchovies and Colatura
One or the other finds its way into almost everything I cook. It’s all about that umami.
2. Baby strollers
My wife and I are having our first baby in a few months. Picking a stroller is my job. It’s kind of fun actually; sort of like researching a new knife. (Is that really lame?)
3. The late-night industry crowd
Tosca serves full dinner menu plus a few late-night happy hour specials. It’s great for everyone, but we do it primarily so industry folks have somewhere to go for a post-shift snack, or full-on meal. There’s nothing better than feeding your compatriots after a gnarly shift.
4. Spring training baseballLet’s go Mets!!! I know I live in SF now, but I’ll never stop loving my Mets. Just got back from a weekend of watching spring training baseball in Port St Lucie, Florida. Amazin’.
5. RumStill isn’t getting the love it deserves, but there’s a lot of interesting and different rums out there. The Jamaican stuff is super-feety and funky. Definitely my favorite.
6. Kitschy "Italian-American" foodRed sauce, meatballs, garlic knots, Caesar salad = comfort food.
7. Bob DylanAlways.
8. Santa CruzI get down there as often as possible. Can’t put my finger on it, but something about that place gives me peace.
9. Watching old sitcoms on NetflixJust got through all 11 seasons of M.A.S.H., and now I’m a couple of seasons into Cheers. A lot has changed in 30 years…and a lot has not.
10. Sharing the wealthWe need to find a way to make front- and back-of-house pay more equitable.
Illustration by Liz Noftle | Original image of Even via Sonya Yu