RECIPES | Dried Cranberry Arroz Con Pollo
And a cranberry Paloma if you're feeling fancy.
May 11, 2018 ● 1 min read
Oh, you thought Arroz con Pollo couldn't get any better? Make like Chef Julian Rodarte of Dallas's Beto & Son and add a twist to a family staple: sweet and tart local dried cranberries, which add bright contrast to the warm, roasty notes of the dish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
3 tbsp. olive oil
4 skin-on chicken thighs
1 tsp. salt, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
1 ½ cups long-grain rice
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 tsp. each onion and garlic powder
1 tsp. achiote paste
½ tsp. dried cumin
¼ tsp. each black and white pepper
1 bay leaf
1 ½ cups chicken stock
½ cup crushed tomatoes
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in a saucepan set over medium heat; cook chicken thighs, skin side down. Sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Cook, turning once, for about 10 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to plate using a slotted spoon; set aside.
2. Add chopped onion, garlic and cranberries to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in rice. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
3. Stir in bell pepper, onion and garlic powders, achiote paste, cumin, black and white pepper, remaining salt, bay leaf, chicken stock and tomatoes. Return chicken to pan. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.
4. Garnish: Sprinkle dried cranberries and cilantro over top. Serve immediately.
Just about the easiest thing you'll do today.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
2 oz. blanco tequila
4 oz. cranberry juice
4 oz. grapefruit soda
1. Add ice cubes to a large cocktail glass.
2. Pour in tequila and cranberry juice. Top with grapefruit soda.